(CNN) — Summer’s right around the corner, and the best beaches in the United States are beckoning.
For the No. 1 beach in the US, travelers will need to book a trip to Oahu.
Kailua Beach Park is the top US beach for 2019, according to coastal sciences professor Stephen P. Leatherman.
Kayak rentals are available so that you can paddle away to nearby offshore islands. The beach park also offers free parking, bathrooms, picnic tables and volleyball courts and there are lifeguards on duty.
Plus, beach showers mean you can freshen up a bit and head directly to the village of Kailua for beverages and a great meal.
Kailua Beach Park bumped fellow Hawaii shoreline — Kapalua Bay Beach in Maui — out of the top spot this year. In 2017, Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Florida, earned the No. 1 ranking. Hanauma Bay in Oahu was the top beach in 2016.
In addition to its pristine shoreline, the park offers cabins, campgrounds, more than four miles of coastal forest trails and Western Lake — a coastal dune lake — for fishing and paddling.
All of the top 10 US beaches — plus hundreds more — will soon be welcoming summer sun-and-sand seekers. It’s time to plan your escape.
Dr. Beach’s 2019 picks for best US beaches
1. Kailua Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
3. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
5. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Island of Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina